5-6 weeks before your move
- Think about the exact date you want to move.
- Start planning your move.
- Decide what you want to take with you to your new home and what you are leaving behind. A floor plan of your new home may help you decide.
- You might need furniture for your new home. Start ordering them now.
- If you think you’ll need extra storage space, book it now.
- Decide if you are packing yourself or ordering a packing service and plan accordingly.
- Start researching your new area or the country you are moving to. If you familiarise yourself with the local community or the new culture ahead of time, the move will be much smoother.
3-4 weeks before you move
- Confirm the date of the move with us.
- Arrange childcare for the moving day – Moving with children can be stressful, but there are ways to manage the impact on them. Although older children may well want to be involved in your move, and even help you pack and organise some things, you may decide that it will be less stressful for younger children if you arrange for them to go to relatives or friends on the moving day.
- Make arrangements for moving your pets – Moving can be very disruptive for pets so you may want to ask a vet for specialist advice on taking care of your animals during the move.
- Take a full inventory and start sorting out your belongings.
- Clear out unwanted belongings – Planning a fresh start in your new home is an ideal time to clear out any unwanted belongings. You can give these items to friends and family, give them away with Freecycle, or hold a garage sale. Local charity shops will also welcome smaller items such as books, ornaments, some furniture or clothing.
- Get the essential moving supplies.
- Start packing items you don’t use very often and start emptying your freezer.
2 weeks before you move
- Notify your essential service providers, banks and any other financial institutions, about your move. You will need to arrange for water, gas and electricity meter readings on the day of your move. Make sure that all services are connected in your new home the day you move in.
- Have your telephone number transferred or changed.
- Arrange for your post to be redirected – Contact Royal Mail if you want to have your post redirected.
- Organise the disconnection and reconnection of domestic appliances, like your washing machine, cooker, and gas fires.
- Plan the moving day in detail.
- Decide how you are going to transport your valuable items, like jewellery, money, antiques, plants, and pets.
- Finalise everything with us. Confirm arrival dates, addresses, and think about parking facilities for the removal van.
1 week before you move
- Finish packing all non-essential items and clean the house thoroughly.
- Check attic, garage, and basement for items you might have forgotten.
- Put all important documents in one box or bag which you will move yourself – this should include passports, driving licenses, wills, birth certificates, insurance papers, cash and jewellery.
- Cancel any regular deliveries you have to your present home, like milk or newspapers.
The day before you move
- If you have ordered our professional packing service, you have to prepare some things to make the packing as fast as possible – You can usually leave drawers and trunks with their contents intact, provided there are no breakable items inside. If you do this, however, it is your responsibility to point out to the crew drawers, wardrobes, cupboards and other containers that have ‘out of sight’ items within.
- Liquids, oils and paints must be placed into sealed containers. We cannot transport inflammable material, so dispose of these safely.
- Defrost and clean your fridge and freezer. Follow the manufacturers’ instructions and empty and defrost your freezer/fridge at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours, in advance of the move. If you do wish frozen food to be transported in your freezer set it at “fast freeze” for 24 hours before the move, and please note that in this circumstance, freezer and food are moved at your own risk.
- Washing machines. These should be unplumbed and should have a transit bar fitted. If you need assistance, contact your local plumber and service agent.
- General gas and electrical appliances. Have a qualified fitter disconnect gas and electrical appliances, and secure them appropriately for removal (e.g. fires, heaters, clocks, light fittings, T.V. aerial). Your cooker may be disconnected and reconnected on the removal day, although the removal crew are not allowed to do this. If a professional does it for you, it must be done early so it does not hold up the removal crew.
- Fixtures and fittings. Items attached to the fabric of the house should be detached in readiness. Take down and unfasten any items you intend to take such as:- curtains, curtain rails, pelmets, light fittings, shelving, picture hooks, cupboards, cabinets, etc. Carpets and floor coverings that are tacked or stuck down should be unfastened although the removal crew will lift them and re-lay but not refit them. Mirrors and pictures fastened to the wall should be unfastened, although the removal crew will take down (but not rehang) those hanging in the usual way.
- Self-assembly furniture. For Larger pieces of furniture such as wardrobes Manufacturers’ instructions suggest that this should travel in a disassembled state. Removers therefore take no responsibility if it is to be moved in an assembled state. They will strongly recommend that you should arrange for it to be dismantled yourself. Since this kind of furniture is designed to be assembled only once, if you require a remover to dismantle or reassemble it he will not guarantee its final condition
- Plants. Any plants should be prepared for travel the day before. Do not water them on the day of removal.
- Empty all bins; it is your responsibility to ensure that all bins are emptied of contents. Removal crew will not carry any type of receptical containing refuse. This is particularly important when your goods are due to go into storage for a period of time.
- Put together a ‘do not remove pile’ These should be packed (with the kettle, etc.) in a container marked “load last/unload first”, and should include items such as:- light bulbs, loo rolls, first aid kit, torch, matches, screwdriver, knife or pair of strong scissors, string, etc.
You can now leave the hard work to us, but there are a few essential things you will need to take care of.
- Access. Arrange for clear access for the removal van at both ends of the move. If necessary contact the police if there is likely to be a nuisance to traffic. You will already have informed the remover if there are any restrictions or parking problems, especially at the delivery end.
- Be present when the movers arrive and answer their questions when necessary.
- Check the condition of your belongings as they are being loaded.
- Perform final checks before leaving your home – Make sure that meter readings are taken, that water and power supply are turned off, and that doors and windows are closed.
- Make sure that you are not leaving anything behind. Walk around your property, ideally with the foreman of our removal crew to check that nothing has been overlooked.
- Drop keys at the estate agents if you need to.
- Make sure that you have exchanged contact numbers with our removal team, and arrange a time to meet them at your new home.
- When you walk into your new home, don’t start unpacking right away. Give yourself some time to enjoy your new home, sit down and relax. The most stressful part of the move is over. Only start unpacking when you feel relaxed and energetic.
- If you have requested an unpacking service, please assist the crew to ensure that items are placed in the appropriate rooms. You will need to place items such as clothes into wardrobes and cupboards.
- Our removal crew will remove the majority of debris from packing materials, however if there are any left behind or you have asked to complete the unpacking, please contact us via the number on side of the box from your home number. We will then arrange for a convenient day to collect the materials so they can be recycled.
Why Choose Alban Moves Group
Local, UK and International removals
Free quotes and surveys
Commercial and office moves
Family run with over 30 years’ experience
Storage and packing services
Members of the British Association of Removers
Modern Fleet & Expert Removals
Established in 2006 Alban Moves Group is one of the leading moving companies in Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire specialising in household removals, storage, fine art relocation & international removals. We operate a modern fleet of vehicles and over 30 loyal staff.
Our expertise and service have won us a constant following, people who expect the best, on time, every time, and who know they can trust us to deliver their items with consummate care.
Free Home Surveys
Alban Moves Group offer a video survey service. Instead of organising a property viewing in person we can easily conduct a simple and time-saving video survey. Contact us to set up a date and time for your free appointment.
Contact us about your move today.
Free no obligation quotations provided
“I would thoroughly recommend Alban Moves. Dan and Martin were professional, friendly and did an outstanding job. Absolutely delighted.”
“The lads were excellent: Jordan worked tirelessly; Paul, despite suffering from a heavy cold, soldiered on, propped by Lemsips and Ash was simply fantastic – very professional and clearly an expert at his job. They were all cheerful and courteous throughout our two day move, and did not flinch when they arrived at our new house and saw all the steps and stairs they had to contend with. Working with these lads turned what could have been a stressful experience into a very smooth move; I cannot recommend them enough. Thank you very much!
“Alban moves were excellent. The whole team from the initial quote, the people in the office who answered every question and even interrupted their lunch breaks to take calls, to the removal team were all exceptional. Everyone went out of their way to make sure no detail was left out. They made sure our move happened smoothly and efficiently. The team were brilliant. Thank you Alban Moves, for all your dedication. We will definitely be using you again.”
The service on the day of removal was excellent. The guys worked tirelessly and couldn’t be more helpful to ensure it went as expected.”
“It was an excellent service and Kieran and Luke could not have been more professional, courteous and efficient. They did a first-rate job. You are lucky to have them!”
“Alban moves have given an excellent service every time they have moved me. I can’t recommend them highly enough.”
“An amazingly quick and highly efficient service from start to finish in 24 hours. We phoned on the Monday and the team were there 8am as promised on the Tuesday all done by 2pm very happy with the team they were most polite and careful with our belongings, a definite recommendation to friends and family.”
“Just to say thank–you for organising our house move last week. The removal team were really great and so helpful. Just what you need with all the stress of a house move. Special thanks to John and Tyler who are a real credit to you all. Thank-you.”
“The team on the 2 days of our move were simply excellent hard working courteous and nothing was too much trouble. All were a credit to your business and I couldn’t praise them any higher.”
“Moving house is stressful. From the word go when we contacted Alban Moves they were infinitely better to all the other removals companies. Our choice was simple. Alban Moves it was. The backroom staff were brilliant, then came the day of the move. The removal guys were immense. They made a very tough day, very enjoyable. Superb removal men. Faultless. A perfect company.”
“We were very impressed and grateful for all the work you did to help our house move go so smoothly. The packing was done very efficiently and carefully by Richard. On the day of the move, which was handled very well indeed by Richard, Martin and Danny, nothing was too much or too little to ask and they were extremely hard working, courteous and professional. We thought the price was competitive and the overall service was excellent, and we would not hesitate to recommend you to friends or family.”
“Just to say a massive thank you for everything, you have all been great. Each person we have spoken to and dealt with. The guys doing the move yesterday were fantastic really helpful and polite. Fantastic company all round.”
“Thank you very much to John and Paul, who despite getting stuck on the motorway for a few hours still managed to get everything unloaded by midday. Having moved many many times in the last 10 years, Alban Moves has proved to be the most reliable and professional company of the movers I’ve hired.”
“Having never used a Removals company before, I was a little apprehensive as to how things would go. I certainly didn’t need to worry, as the team were brilliant in every respect from my initial contact requesting a survey, to the final signing off of the job at the end of the day. The whole process was handled in a very professional, effective, timely and friendly manner. If you are looking for a removals company who meet all of these criterion, then look no further than Alban Moves, simply superior.”
“Thoroughly professional from start to finish. Would be more than happy to recommend – and in fact we already have!”
“Just to say thank you for your great service. Ash and Jordan were brilliant. They are friendly helpful and very professional. We couldn’t have asked for more.Thanks again.”
“Just wanted to say a huge thanks to Ash, Tyler and Jordan for all their help with the move last Friday 5 Jan They were absolutely brilliant throughout and really helped take the stress off the day! Thanks!”
“We moved 200 miles from our current house. The 3 days service was brilliant from beginning to end. 10 our of 10. Removal team worked extremely hard and diligently. Packed, loaded and delivered ahead of schedule. Would highly recommend Alban Moves.”
“I was extremely impressed with your team that moved us on the day. Both their helpfulness and efficiency are to be commended. When we asked them to move an item around there were no complaints just a happy, helpful face. Also at the end of the move they asked if we were happy with where everything was and if not they would be more than happy to move things to where we wanted. I commend you on an excellent moving experience. You made a difficult & hard job look effortless and like you wanted to help us to move, engaging with us on where things should go. What a brilliant team. Well done!”
“We were very impressed with the speed, courtesy and enthusiasm of the removal team. There was a time delay with the final completion but this didn’t phase the team at all, they just organised more help to unload. Also, very importantly, there was no damage or breakages. We could not be more pleased with the experience.”
“The detail of work and care and support at a stressful time was unexpected and appreciated. Very professional at all times.”
“My husband and I just wanted to say a huge big thank you to your team that moved us last Thursday/Friday. John, Kian and the boys were so professional and made the whole process of packing/moving/setting up SO much easier. We will be recommending you to all our friends in the future.”
“The team were helpful and very professional. I would recommend this firm given my move was complicated moving south to North over two days.”